skip to main | skip to sidebar

screw beautiful. I'm brilliant.

and I like to eat

11.03.2013

Halloween 2013: DIY Avatar (Behind the Costume)



..And here's how I did my Avatar Costume!


A visual list of what I plan to make.



A white unitard (but if it's unavailable, use leotards and tights like what I did!)
+ White cloth for the tail and "bahag" (it would be better if they're both of the same fabric so when you dye it, you would get the same shade)




Needle and Thread




 
So to make the tail, cut 2 long pieces of fabric and sew them together at the sides




And invert! (To keep the badside inside) 




At first I used Venus dye (left one, because the right turned the water purple)




But it didn't turn out in the color I wanted it to be..




So I used Acrylic paint (diluted in water)




And let it stand for quite some time!




The color matched the face paint I bought, so that's good news. But the leotard smelled really bad because of the acrylic paint so you have to hang it outside for a time to get rid of the smell. It was quite stiff too, but it'll do!




I started to paint dark blue stripes that would blend a bit




Tadaaaa!!




 I didn't have pictures of how I did the ears but I primed it using spray paint and painted it blue as well. I taped it onto a black headband just right above my real ears. (I was really lazy during this part so I just used tape.. Hahahha)



 Face paint time!!

*Don't forget to hide your eyebrows using a thick layer of glue stick across it before putting on facepaint!

 
Snazaroo body paint is available in National Bookstore. I also used a makeup sponge (with a little bit of water) to apply the paint because it won't give you bad streaks like when you use a paintbrush / makeup brush / your hands.




 Don't forget to cover everything!!




I added on some dark blue stripes and white dots on my forehead, cheeks and under my eyes, dark blue eyebrows, black eyeshadow and eyeliner (to completely hide the flesh around the eyes) and lined the sides of my nose with dark blue face paint for it to look wider as that of the Na'vi's.




Don't forget to sponge every inch of your exposed body!




 
Don't forget to accessorize as much as you can :)




And lastly, DON'T FORGET TO EAT BEFORE PUTTING ON FACEPAINT.
...Because I forgot




The Complete DON'T FORGET List:

1. EAT BEFORE EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
2. Hide your eyebrows using a thick layer of glue stick
3. Cut and put buttons/zipper under the leotard top, so you won't have to take everything off when you need to go to the restroom
4. Wear slippers, don't go barefoot outside! Ouch!
5. Use yellow cat eye contact lenses for a fuller look
6. Add some brown yarns to the ends of your tail
7. Make your nose look wider by lining the sides of your nose with dark blue face paint
8. Braid your hair and put on some beads
9. Settle your facepaint with hairspray. Face, Neck, Back, Hands, Feet. If you skip this step, you will spread the blue paint everywhere and in everything you touch!
10. Keep the blue facepaint everywhere you go because the facepaint on your lips will crack and lose the color! Retouch retouch retouch!
11. For additional props: Bring around a bow, quiver and arrows!
12. You may use a straw in drinking drinks to avoid ruining your lip color
13. Be in character and have fun! :)


Materials that I used:

-Yvonne's Dancewear white leotards
-Yvonne's Dancewear white tights
-White cloth
-Brown yarn
-Dark blue acrylic paint
-Light blue acrylic paint
-Needle and Thread
-Scissors
-Snazaroo light blue body paint
-Snazaroo dark blue body paint
-Snazaroo white body paint
-Make-up sponge
-Water
-Black eyeliner
-Black eyeshadow
-Plastic elf ears
-Primer paint
-Paint brushes
-Make-up brushes
-Yellow cat eye contact lenses
-Blue cloth (for bahag)
-Quiver (illustration board and rope)
-Arrows (illustration board and barbeque sticks)
-Bow


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment